In 1924 the S.S. “Columbus” entered into the fleet of the North German Lloyd. She was a triumph for Germany, as nearly the entire German merchant navy had been destroyed during the course of the Great War. As the remains of what had been the world’s largest fleet were taken by the Allied victors as spoils of war, Germany was forced build new tonnage to replace what had been lost. With “Columbus”, the Germans began what was to become a remarkable recovery.
Detailed in these pages is the history of “Columbus”. Follow the listed links for a study of her service career and interior spaces.
Service
Career
NDL Logo Interior
Spaces

HTML layout and design by Bryan R. Guinn. Text and images on this page are from North German Lloyd brochures from the private collection of Bryan R. Guinn. No unauthorized reproduction.